If you're finding yourself with skin problems that just won't go away, check this list to make sure you're not accidentally causing the damage:
1. Rubbing your face dry instead of patting it - Rubbing a towel over your face feels good, but rubbing instead of patting can cause damage to your skin’s elasticity and can cause aging and sagging in the future. Being as gentle as possible with your skin is always the best option.
2. Working out with heavy face make-up on - When you work out, your body temperature increases and your pores open and sweat as a result. If you’re wearing heavy foundation and other face make up, it is getting into your pores and preventing them from releasing heat properly.
3. Not washing your pillowcases frequently - Dirt and oil build up on your pillow cases while you sleep, and if you aren’t washing your pillow cases on a regular basis (at least once a week), this build up can be causing acne and other skin problems.
4. Touching your face without washing your hands first - Think about everything you touch throughout the day. Now imagine your face touching all of those surfaces. Would you let your face touch that? Wash your hands before touching your face to avoid getting bacteria on your face.
5. Stressing too much - When you’re stressed, your body releases hormones that can effect your skin in many ways. It can cause under-eye bags, acne, oil imbalance, and even wrinkles. Try to find an activity that you enjoy doing to lower your stress levels like yoga, reading, or meditation - your skin (plus mind and body) will thank you.
6. Never sanitizing your cell phone - BuzzFeed did an experiment to see just how much bacteria was on people's cell phones and found that every single cell phone had a bacteria called propionibacterium acne, which is know to cause acne, and some of the phones even had fecal bacteria on them. Some pros say to sanitize it with a special cleaner that’s made for phones, but if you’re not willing to pay for one, a little hand sanitizer on a cloth is better than nothing.
7. Not wearing sunscreen everyday - Even on an overcast day there are still UV rays that are damaging to your skin. Wearing sunscreen every day will help save you from fine lines and signs of aging. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, 90 percent of visible aging is from sun damage. Check to make sure your face make-up has an SPF component, and if it doesn’t, find one ASAP or apply sunscreen underneath.
8. Over washing your face - My best advice is to learn how your skin works and to make sure you aren’t over washing it. Everyone’s different, but when you over wash your skin, you’re washing off more than just dirt and make up, you’re taking off natural oils that your skin produces. Take time to learn your skin type and adjust your routine accordingly.
9. Not staying hydrated - When you don't drink enough water, your skin and lips can start to look dry and your eyes can appear darker. So instead of treating your dry skin or chapped lips with extra cream, try drinking more water and see if that fixes your problem.